Sonntag, 5. April 2015

Happy Easter

First on the Agenda: I would like wishing you All a very Happy Easter.



After a few days of miserable rain, spring bounced back in style, just in time for Easter. In Ireland I have the feeling that you don't take any ray of sun for granted. It's something special, its an event .... its actually heaven.

Despite the sometimes unsettled 'April-weather' I do love this time of year and maybe it is my favorite time of all four seasons. Without doubt the one and only color associated with spring is a bright and shiny yellow. Therefore I strolled up our lane and went 'yellow hunting' in and around the ditches. Apart from the powerful strong yellow of daffodils or crocus's I found other species of different herbs just a few steps away from home.
Over centuries this used to be a powerful herb, the dandelion. I pick the leafs not only for Moses, the tortoise, but also chop it small and use it finely chopped in salad dressing and between potato salad. Rich in potassium and supports kidney, liver and gall bladder function.

Cowslip, a  great relaxing, slightly sedative plant helpful for a good nights sleep

Coltsfoot, one of my favorite herbs. I pick the blossoms and let them dry. Whenever one of us gets a cough its a spot on remedy.

Gorse plays an important role within the Bach Flower Remedies. But it just makes me happy strolling through an aisle of yellowness while inhaling the gentle scent of coconut
Also our animals on the farm are in a spring mode and full of surprises. Especially the goats were full of it.
I keep goats now since 25 years, but this year I felt suddenly like a real beginner. Throughout the winter I was very happy with my girls, as they looked rather happy and healthy. I feed them hay and a bit of grains and they travel over the bog picking on heather, bramble leafs, a bit of stingy gorse and some bark, preferably of Sally's and Whitethorn. Still it is only natural that they shape up and loose a bit of weight. As it was mild throughout this winter and early spring I had the impression that the goats still looked well fed.
But suddenly all made sense .... . Two weeks ago I couldn't find Bella, a 2 year old strawberry colored goat and went searching for her. Here she was in the little forest giving birth to two fine 'Billy boys'. I was thrilled, but hadn't really suspected it, as i didn't have a Billy around ....unless the just 4 month old little Cassanova from last year .... ?
already practicing at about 3 weeks .... without consequences that time 
Well now I got suspicious and inspected each and everyone of the girls. The result still puts a smile on my face. Somehow he had 'done' two of my 'big girls', Tini and Angie and also the two younger ones Bella and Jessi, resulting in three boys and two girls ... and a rather overcrowded goat shed.
Just a little insight into 'Corsallaghs 2015 miracle goat reproduction':
Pit -stop .... fuel stop at lunch time


just 2 hours old .... Mummy and sons are cuddling up

Miss Helen ... the little boss 


ok - who seriously can resist me .... ?

I bet you never guessed it, but i do love to follow my animals around with the old simple snapshot camera. It gives me great pleasure to watch them and sometimes they do give me one or the other lesson .... like the the goats this year.
To finish off another few shots of a random selection, calling it 'enjoying the sun'
Mother Ollie and Son Snoopy


Arthur treats his girls with a sun bath in the dry clay

old Murphy chilling

Snoopy heats up on the tarmac 

on the river bank

all out ..... including the bedding 

watching everything grow

a chat between friends ... probably about the weather ... 

2 Kommentare:

  1. Whaaat nice looking beautiful piiiiiics Tina ;) *_* It all looks so lovely and the weather seems perfect in Ireland at the moment :) I would wish to come over and see it now :) hahaaa I hope you are dealing well with all your goats now, there are now so many right? =)
    Lots of love from good old Germany (where today the sun also shines today :))
    xxx Ange

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Thank you Ange .... ja I have enough goaties by now. You know Angie, the goat, born on the 29.03.09, had also a goat kid ... nearly on her birthday .... a few hours past the 29th :). she seems to like that date :)

    AntwortenLöschen